William's Labor Story

A few friends have asked for the details of William's arrival, so if you are not interested in such things, be forewarned!!

The small contractions that rolled through irregularly on and off all day Tuesday made me guess that our little man would be making his debut fairly soon.

Scott stayed home from work to help out and spend some time with the girls and I, and in the evening we went to Home Depot so he could get a few things for the house remodel. The thought of standing still while he picked out his items was too much for me as the contractions were getting more distracting and uncomfortable, so I spent the hour or more we were there walking around looking at everything from sinks and kitchen layouts to plants and flowers... pausing every 10 minutes or so for a contraction. It was a great way to distract myself, get an hour long walk, and help kick things in gear. I suppose starting things off at Home Depot was a perfectly rational thing to do since this was all for a boy! :)

After getting home and putting the girls to bed, we stayed up and watched a movie until midnight, which helped keep my mind off my belly some more... and then went to bed. Notice I did not choose the word 'sleep', as that would have been impossible! :) After an hour or so, I couldn't lie still any longer, so I rocked in the rocking chair and hummed songs during the contractions (which, btw, were still around 10 min. apart, and short... though they were getting harder).

By 3 am Scott noticed a change in the pattern of things and started loading the car with our bags... while I kept protesting that the contractions weren't strong enough or long enough to be serious yet. Around 3:50 am all of a sudden I was feeling the need to hurry up and get over to the cabin, so Scott called the midwives, who live an hour away, and we got the girls in the car and headed over to my parent's guest house, where we had already planned to have the baby (both of my other babies have been born there as well).

We arrived around 4:15 and straightway I got into the inflatable pool. It was such a welcome feeling, to be enveloped in warm water, and cushioned by air... no pressure points anywhere! The contractions started picking up steam and when the midwives arrived at 5 am, they were intense, but still short. I thought I had a long ways to go, since the longest contraction was only 45 seconds (with my other 2 births they were 60-90 seconds) but Marlene, one of the midwives checked and said he was ready to come out! I pushed 6 times, with 2 contractions, and William was born at 5:21! I was so amazed that he was out and it was over and done with, that I just cried and cried. I'm such an emotional sap... crying that labor was over and my baby was here so fast!

Here is William, minutes old, still in the birthing pool...

William, about 20 minutes old...

So there you have it! No drugs, no intervention, no tears, cuts, or stitches, no white walls and metal beds... though those most certainly have their time and place. I am so grateful to the Lord for such a stress free birth, and most of all, a healthy baby boy. William was born at 7 pounds, 10 ounces, and 20.75 inches.



  1. Wow, wee! That does sound like it was an easy birth! ;) I know, with Sheldon, I was in a tub for awhile and could hardly feel my contractions....but all three of mine were born in a hospital, so i couldn't stay in the tub forever. Well, your little boy is adorable and congrats! Hey, I have your blog listed on my blog, so it shows me whenever you have a new post. That way I can keep in touch better. TTYL , Rachelle

  2. Sounds amazing. :) Definitely does not sound like a FIRST baby experience. :) So happy for you guys.

    4 weeks to go for us!! Cami

  3. Well done!
    It was so lovely to read that story.
    As I am pregnant with my 3rd (due 20th Feb), and I'm quite nervous.
    All I can think about are the bad things from labour...and I just want to stay positive.
    So I'll just pretend my next labour will be as easy as yours, and I might be right....lol:)